Click on the button to discover all the advantages of the Delaware pavilion or contact us directly to obtain a file.


Click on the button to discover the procedure for obtaining the Delaware flag or contact us directly to obtain a file.


Click on the button to see the safety equipment related to the Delaware flag or contact us directly for a file.


Click on the button to discover the different prices of the services offered or contact us directly to obtain a file.


Click on the button to obtain the registration forms to build your registration file.


Click on the button to know the disadvantages and choose your pavilion without regret.

Delaware Flag - Advantages

Access conditions – limits – VAT

This pavilion is open to any nationality and without residence conditions. There is also no navigation limit. You can navigate in the upper zone with a simple sea license. You were not asked to pay VAT on your purchase either. However, with an extra-community flag, you cannot sail for more than 6 consecutive months in European waters (unless you pay VAT!). Beyond that, you must leave European waters for at least 24 hours and be able to produce it (with a non-EU fueling ticket, for example).
This registration is aimed more particularly at people sailing outside European waters or having a “round the world” type project and who have not been able to pay VAT (non-Community boat).
Deadlines for obtaining and validating
The time taken to obtain the registration certificate varies from 2 to 6 weeks depending on the season. Possibility of express processing. Consult us. It is valid for 3 years (3 calendar years: ie year Y + 2). For more details, see the “Procedure” section.

Security equipment

There is a list of regulatory safety equipment in Delaware (see Equipment section), but if you are sailing in international waters or outside Delaware, you can refer to the minimum list below and adapt it to your needs. navigation area; in any case, survival is not mandatory.

Rescue equipment :

a bra for each possible person on board
a luminous lifebuoy if the vessel is sailing during the night
effective distress signals: 3 hand flares, 2 red flares.

Nautical instruments :

a magnetic compass
navigation lights
a foghorn if gas, a reserve bottle
a hand or electric probe

Weapons material :

an anchor
a gaffe
a pump or a scoop
a pair of oars
20 meters of line for common maneuvers
an electric lamp to give light signals
a fire extinguisher for motor yachts
a complete set of sails for sailboats

Sanitary equipment :

a waterproof box containing the necessary bandages and other common pharmaceutical products.

Documents :

nautical charts corrected for the region sailed (date of last correction) *
tide directory *
international regulations for preventing collisions at sea (R.I.P.A.M.) *
radio patent and license to use radio devices
duplicate insurance policy
registration document and US national flag.

* Nautical charts, tide tables and RIPAM are integrated into the Coastal Block or the Marine Block.
Available for sale on request.

Navigation permit

A sea license (coastal, sea chart, etc.) remains compulsory to navigate in the maritime domain: whatever your license, you will not be limited in navigation distances.


The change of flag must be reported to your insurer. Check with your insurance company BEFORE registration. If you encounter any difficulties or if you wish to obtain an insurance quote on your pleasure craft, you can contact our insurance partners by sending them the following information directly :
• Your full contact details (address, telephone, internet address)
• The description of the boat as well as its characteristics (Type, model, manufacturer, year of construction, length, materials, type of engine, number of engines, brand and power, flag nationality)
• The insurance value (hull, engine, personal effects, etc.)
• History for 5 years
• The use you want to make of the boat (private navigation, rental with or without a crew, etc.)
• The navigation area: Europe, Africa, Asia, etc….
For Delaware, the PANTAENIUS company is the most suitable to answer your request, this company being specialized in the international one.


Delaware does not levy a tax on boats registered in their state. As a reminder, boats taxable in France belonging to French residents remain subject to the French annual tax (annual navigation fee or passport fee). The place of collection will depend on the customs office where the request for the foreign ship’s passport was made.

Contact our insurance partners : 
34 Quai Jean Charles Rey
MC – 98000 MONACO
Jean Sébastien BERTHELOT
Phone +377 97 70 12 05
Fax +377 97 70 12 07
Download here the quotation request

4 avenue Carnot
85109 Les Sables d’Olonne
Contact Geoffrey DELAIRE
Phone 02 49 98 85 00 / 06 85 09 96 49
Fax 02 49 98 85 01
Download here the quotation request

DELAWARE Pavilion - Disadvantages

Navigation limit

Because it is extra-community, this pavilion has the drawbacks of its advantages! This means that you are not required to pay VAT but you will not be able to sail for more than 6 consecutive months in European waters. Beyond that, you have to get out at least 24 hours before coming back. Of course, you have to be able to prove this exit with a fueling or parking ticket in a port, for example. When the boat is resold, it will be difficult to offer it to potential European buyers.

Radio license

If you are using a fixed or portable VHF radio, beacon or other radio equipment on board, a license is required. This license is obligatorily associated with the nationality of the flag. The request can only be made once the boat is registered. A copy of the registration certificate is required. The major drawback in Delaware is that this license can only be obtained if the owner of the boat is domiciled in Delaware. For this purpose we offer a domiciliation on site in order to be able to obtain a license. However, the cost must be taken into consideration. See details in the Price section.

Delaware pavilion - procedure

List of documents to be supplied

Download the registration request form. to download.
Warning ! The length of the boat is expressed in feet (foot – FT and inch IN). For your conversions, connect to the site

A copy of a valid identity card or passport stamped by a local administration for authentication (Town Hall, Municipal Police, etc.)
A power of attorney to download to act with the Delaware authorities on your behalf.
A copy of the notarized title deed (bill of sale or invoice) with translation into English if the document was drafted in another language. For information, the notarial deed of sale is a document including a signature legalization: it is sufficient to go to a notary with an identity document and the original document. In France, this procedure can be done either at a notary, or at the town hall or through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. We also offer our translation service if needed, prices on request.
Notice of cancellation of the previous flag with an uncertified English translation OR the original certificate of the previous flag to make the cancellation
The signature on the identity document must match the signature on all other documents.

Radio license

If you are using a fixed or portable VHF radio, beacon or other radio equipment on board, a license is required. This license must be issued by the country on which the vessel is registered. The request can only be made once the boat is registered. A copy of the registration certificate is required. You must necessarily prove that you are domiciled on site.
If the radio equipment you use justifies it, a 9-digit numerical code called MMSI will be assigned to your station (eg: VHF DSC, EPIRB beacon, ..). In the event of distress at sea, the MMSI allows a safe and rapid identification of the vessel and its owner by the rescue centers.
To obtain a Delaware flag radio license, you must provide the following documents :

Delaware pavilion - equipment

Below is a comprehensive list of the equipment required to navigate Delaware’s waters :
– Training card: safety at sea. The exam is taken online at
– Visible registration sticker on the hull (Sticker supplied with the registration)
– Personal buoyancy equipment (vests, lifejacket, etc.) (x4)
– Fire extinguisher
– Circuit breaker
– Flame arrester (x4)
– Ventilation system
– Horn, whistle, bell
– Daytime distress signals
– Night distress signals (x6)
– Navigation lights

Delaware Pavilion - prices

 Boat size  Registration Valid for 3 years  Renewal for 3 years
 5m à 8m  600.00 € 400.00 €
 8m à 12m 700.00 € 500.00 €
 12m à 20m 800.00 € 600.00 €
 +20m 1 000.00 € 800.00 €
Cancellation by email All boats 240.00 €
Cancellation by mail All boats 360.00 €
Additional costs
Flag cancellation NL valid certificate 72.00 €
Flag cancellation NL expired certificate 92.00 €
Flag cancellation of the Belgian flag 70.00 €
Deed of sale translation: price per page 60.00 €
Notice of cancellation translation 20.00 €
Radio license with Delaware MMSI number valid for 10 years
Package without domiciliation* 816.00 €
Package with domiciliation 1 year 1020.00 €
Delaware annual domiciliation 220.00 €
* ATTN ! this package is only for those who already have an address in Delaware

Delaware pavilion - downloads

Download here free of charge the documents useful for your administrative procedures :

Click on the PDF icon to download the documents.


  • Application form :


  • Application form :
PROXY FOR registration
  • Power of attorney form :
PROXY FOR the radio license
  • Radio equipment form :

REQUEST FOR INSURANCE QUOTE (to be sent directly to insurers)

  • Radio equipment form :


NO, with a boat in L.O.A – leasing, you are not the owner, but only the lessee. It will be possible to register it in your name once the leasing is over (for an advance purchase, please contact the leasing agency directly who will issue you an invoice after payment of the balance. You will also sign a deed of sale. ).
YES, provided you have previously declared it to the competent radio services, that is to say the country of registration of your registration. You must send us the request for a ship station license (link for formalities). You must hold a restricted radiotelephony certificate. We take care of this for a registration fee depending on the country of registration.

Your obligations under a foreign flag are:
– Display the national flag of the country where the flag is registered (30cm x 45cm minimum)
– Display the courtesy flag of the country visited (20cm x 30cm)
– Also indicate the name of your boat, its port of attachment in full, on the transom or if you do not have room, on the 2 sides of the boat towards the rear.
– Indicate the registration number (minimum height: 5 cm) on the two front sides.
Local police rules remain applicable (speed limit, prohibited zone, etc.); finally you must be up to date with your taxes (see disadvantages chapter).

NO, by choosing another flag, your boat is legally registered in a maritime register. No authority can accuse you of flying a flag other than that of your country of origin if the registration documents are valid and specify the nationality of the boat.
If you are a French resident, you must pay the annual navigation fee (francization tax) which – contrary to what its name suggests – is a tax on the property of the boat. So if you are the owner or user of a boat and a French resident, you must pay this annual fee, regardless of where you are sailing! Your boat may never sail in France, you are nevertheless liable for this right. In the past, there was a so-called “distant sea” exemption for boats sailing on the borders of the seas and which never touched French territorial waters. This right has been completely questioned since 2008. Under a foreign flag, you will therefore be subject to this duty and will have to pay the “foreign ship’s passport fee”. This tax is calculated in the same way and on the same bases as the francization tax. You must pay it from the first day the boat is put into service, if you are a French resident (Note! The term “resident” means receiving income in France; it is not about domicile ….).
NO for all countries of registration that are part of the European Union: Poland, Belgium, Netherlands, France. You have to pay VAT in one of the EU member countries. This applies in the case of a new acquisition (invoice with VAT) or during an import (boat outside the EU); This does not apply to you in the following cases: – during a second-hand sale between individuals. – if you make a second-hand purchase in the Community market and this VAT has already been paid by the first user, – if you make an extra-Community acquisition and do not intend this good for use in the intra-Community zone (registration under the DELAWARE flag).
NON, il suffit d’indiquer dans votre demande la marque, la référence et le n° de série de ces moteurs. Si vous avez à bord un groupe électrogène pour alimenter ces moteurs, il ne faut pas le préciser. Ce sont simplement les moteurs de propulsion qui doivent être déclarés.
For registration under the European flag, you will have to prove that one of the co-owners is of European nationality. Please note that the number of shares held by your co-owner must be significant (at least 50%). You can opt for an extra-community pavilion: see Delaware pavilion. In this case, you will not have to pay VAT either. ATTN! if you live for more than 6 months in European waters, customs are entitled to ask you to pay VAT.
All vessels of non-Community origin must go through an import procedure and pay VAT in Europe, if they are intended to be put into circulation on the European market. This procedure is carried out by the Customs office where the goods are located during customs clearance. The amount is generally calculated on the market value determined by the act of purchase of the property. Customs can request an expertise if they consider that the declared amount is significantly underestimated compared to the real value of the good. Customs clearance can be completed in a European country where the VAT rate is more advantageous, without it being possible to claim the difference from you. E.g .: if you pay your VAT in Romania where the VAT rate is 19%, or in Malta where the rate is 18%, under no circumstances can the difference be claimed from you if you intend this property for a use in Italy (the rate of which is 22%). All VAT payments in Europe are recognized by other member states, even if their rates differ. If you do not intend your good for use in the European market, you will not have to clear it. Since the European directives put in place in 1998, all boats of non-Community origin and / or whose placing on the European market before this date cannot be formally proven, must be “CE” validated before being placed on the market in Europe. If the boat is equal to or greater than 12.00 meters in size, you will have no other choice than to call on a notified body (VERITAS, ICNN, Lloyd, etc.) to bring it up to CE standards. If your boat is fairly new and of size & lt; 12.00 meters, we can offer you a solution for its placing on the European market and registration under the European flag. Do not hesitate to contact us.
YES and NO: some insurers do not know how to register boats flying a foreign flag, for others this is no problem especially if it is a European flag! You must in any case notify the change of flag nationality to your current insurer. If the latter refuses, we can direct you to our partners.

N’hésitez pas à nous contacter !